Application Engineer - Powerise
Since 1934, Stabilus has offered components for diverse applications. We started out as a manufacturer of retrofittable stabilizers for the American automotive industry in 1962 and were the first company in the world to produce gas springs as standard equipment. Since then, we have continued to establish our pioneering role: With a wide range of applications, our unique product range and decades of experience, we are the world's leading manufacturer of solutions based on gas springs, dampers and electromechanical drives.
This Application Engineering position is in our Industrial Division which is housed at our U.S. Corporate Headquarters in Gastonia, NC. The Application Engineer will be responsible for the correct application/design of Stabilus Linear Actuator (Powerise) into our customer’s products.. This is achieved by meeting customer specifications, Stabilus’ internal design considerations, and utilizing basic engineering practices. This role also provides technical assistance to Inside and Outside Sales as well as our distributor partners and customers as required.
Essential Job Functions:
· Using simulation software, size into customer products Stabilus standard gas spring products. Provides this output to: Customers, Distributors, Outside Sales, Inside Sales and upon requests.
· Designs custom POWERISE products using Stabilus Software. Responsible for the correct design based on Stabilus design criteria and basic engineering practices. Create drawings with industry-wide used CAD systems.
· Support ordering prototypes by placing internal orders, supplying drawings, and supporting assembly questions. Applications Engineering is responsible for product development through acceptance of prototypes, specification agreement by the customer and series release.
· Reviews customer prints to match Stabilus drawings and/or product offering. It is the responsibility of the Application Engineer that the Stabilus products meets the customer specification or note any deviations. The Application Engineer marks up the customer print, and negotiates the technical agreement with the customer.
· Development of mechatronics drive systems for Industrial applications.
· Direct customer contact is required to solicit information and give technical assistance. This may be by phone, fax, letter, email or customer visits.
· Provide technical drawings to requestor as required (non-released parts).
· Design and calculate components, building groups and prototypes.
· Design validation, testing and according documentation.
· Support Stabilus sales, distribution network and customers with technical questions.
· Complete Technical Change Notices as required.
· In this capacity the Application Engineer is also responsible for informing the company of any technical developments discovered from competitors or other outside sources.
· If development work is needed, work with Stabilus systems and key stakeholders to develop any needed components or product line expansion.
· Request/update building groups as necessary.
· Responsible for creating a test specification to ensure design meets application requirements.
· In response to any competitive advances it may be necessary for the Application Engineer to recommend/initiate design changes to Stabilus products. Assistance may be required at locations other than Stabilus.
· Provide technical training to: Outside & Inside Sales, Distributors, external and internal customers as needed.
· Application or product problems may need to be identified by the Application Engineer. Determination may require the dissection of suspect product or inspection of the customer’s product. The situation needs to be analyzed and determination of the failure, root cause reported. Each recommendation of how to correct/fix the problem are the responsibility of the Application Engineer.
· Travel to customer location may be required for all of the above.
· May require participation in pilot and production start-ups.
· Manning/walking of Trade Shows to gain/give technical knowledge.
Education, Training, Certifications:
· BSEE or equivalent degree required. MSEE or MBA preferred but not required.
· 2-8 years related experience recommended.
Job Knowledge and Skills:
· Software Skills: AutoCAD/SolidWorks, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Powerpoint, SAP
· Interpersonal Skills: Deals with all facets of company and customers
· Supervisory Skills: None
· Contact with Others: Talks directly with customers, Sales, Engineering, and Production
· Resourcefulness and Initiative: A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
· Mechanical aptitude: Must be able to work with light tools to mount product or build simulation bucks to simulate applications.
With a comprehensive application spectrum, a broad and unique product offer and decades of experience we are the world market leader for gas springs and dampers. Stabilus has been a pioneer and market leader with the state of the art technology in the segment. Stabilus has a global footprint and a broad range of vibration, motion and noise control products.